15 September 2003

There are few sites that I have see that have such a comprehensive listing of federal financing opportunities as the

Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance. I remember when I was working for the USDA, I had colleagues who had joked about making their own positions through grant-writing.

I have heard many people who want to finance their business through a grant. I don't want to have the responsibility of a grant. The grants are for serious programs, for serious needs. In my business, I want to have fun doing what I want to be doing. It is not really an option for my business.

Grants should not be safety nets to train entrepreneurs to run programs and organizations. I would want a grant-funded programs have a responibility to provide efficient and competant service with my tax-funded grants.